Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Doldrums

We've reached it...the Doldrums. The slow, boring dead zone of February, post-Superbowl. Football has ended--waaaaaah! Handyman has returned from his exciting post on the Jimmy Fallon show, which means I have to feed him, not just them.

The poor kids have been fending for themselves for awhile. They've become quite the little scavengers. I cook 2 lbs. of pasta at a time, on the driveway...okay, on a propane burner on the driveway. That lasts for a couple of days. (In my defense, it is Barilla in the yellow box, with all the protein and whole wheat and whatnot.)

But we're kinda, more than kinda, REALLY tired of the whole thing. In the beginning, it was a little bit fun to buy convenience foods that I would normally not buy. For example, Progresso soup. Progresso soup is more expensive and has more unique choices. Normally, we eat canned tomato soup and make the rest from scratch. I am not kidding. Handyman makes Emeril's Chowder of Love. We make white chili. We make tortilla soup, pasta fagioli, baked potato soup, Panera broccoli cheese soup, jambalaya, you-name-it...we made it from scratch.



But sauteeing is a thing of the past. I've tried it in the cast iron skillet on the driveway burner. It's not adjustable enough. Charred onions doesn't cut it, so I moved over to premade. This is hard for a girl like me--the daughter of Mrs. Make-It-From-Scratch-or-Don't-Show-Your-Face. My mother has actually purchased whole nutmegs and a grater, to GRATE THEM HERSELF. Do you see where I am coming from?

So the Progresso was a little fun in the beginning; Italian Wedding Soup, Chicken and Dumplings, Baked Potato with Bacon, yadda yadda yadda. Yesterday I made (heated) some for #3. She ate most of it, meaning the chicken, dumplings, and bits of carrot. As I was dumping it out in the sink, I tasted the broth. Ack!

It was so bland, I almost gagged. The thought that came into my mind was "camel drool". Do not ask me why...but I knew the worm had turned. It ain't fun anymore. #1 and I are on Pinterest, and we both have these boards covered with baked goods. We yearn for an oven. I have a major fear that we will be candidates for Biggest Loser this time next year, once we get our oven back. I dare not even look at Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls...

I would write more, but it is Wednesday...which means one thing: I have to pick up the Pizza Hut.

:*(

2 comments:

  1. Do you have access to an electric roaster oven? I have one and I'm cooking my meat loaf in it tonight because my oven is so unreliable. You can plug it in anywhere in the house that you can set it on something stable, even the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The floor! (Gee, Honey, I don't know why all the dogs' noses are burnt...) I use crock pot, electric skillet, microwave, rice cooker and toaster oven. Cannot wait to throw toaster oven into dumpster. Thanks for the tip. :)

      Delete