Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Remodeling Cred, and a book review

I have routinely told people that Handyman and I are "serial remodelers". And I mean that in the scariest possible way. We cannot stop ourselves. Or perhaps more accurately stated: We are never going to be finished in our lifetimes!

We had a friend, who wound up in the construction business through no fault of his own. He came over to our place right after we moved in, (which was awhile after we actually bought it--because it was too icky to move into immediately), and Handyman took him around the house to show him "the plan".

His response...and I quote "It's big. You're screwed." Gut level honesty...what we all want in friends.

ANYWAY, to provide evidence of our commitment (in a sanitarium would probably be appropriate), I submit: Handyman is known, BY NAME, at Menards. I am not kidding. I have multiple witnessed occasions of this fact. He comes around a corner, orange vest (or whatever they wear) comes around the other corner, "Hey Tom! How's it coming along?"

And for myself: Yesterday I am checking out at local grocery, where I go EVERY SINGLE DAY. I was getting only cat food, and one of the cashiers said, "Did you get your kitchen done?" I know my mouth fell open, because I honestly don't remember ever telling her that I didn't have a kitchen. This in itself is a sign of my oncoming dementia, since I tell everyone we don't have a kitchen.

I told her no, but that we were putting up some more drywall this week. Stunned, I walked out. Is it obvious? I was only buying catfood. Not my usual Progresso Chunky Soup, tater tots and milk. Oh well.

And a book review: No remodeler, no matter how small should be without the terrific book, Gutted, by Lawrence LaRose. At first I read it through an intralibrary loan. But I knew, as I read, that I would have to have my own copy to put beneath my mattress. To whip out on days when there were feral cats in my sink. When Handyman refuses to get out of bed.

This book made us feel SMART! It made us laugh at what some fools will do to have their dream house. I wish I could have the Laroses over for dinner, someday when I have a kitchen...if they are still married. It's a great book and you don't have to be a nut-job like us to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment